The Guest House

Living on a mountainside can be very interesting.  Some of the houses are built right into the hillside so that you enter them through the basement.  This is the case with my guesthouse.  Someday, I will refinish this basement but for now it is dark and scary.  I did hang this old schoolhouse chalkboard at the entryway in the laundry room and it is fun to play with.  Blogspot is giving me fits this morning and I have lots of photos to post so I apologize for some being out of order.

I made homemade marshmallows for my guests to toast in the outdoor fireplace.

I filled the candy jars.

I made peanut butter cookies for munching.

And stocked the refrigerator.

The kitchen witch apron and hat hangs right by the back door just in case someone wants to whip up some magic.


My antique German spice set.

The canisters that match it sit above the plates.

I made them a loaf of rosemary bread to go with the meat and cheese platter.

This door leads to the terraced orchard.

One side of the living room.

One of my favorite paintings.

Looking from the living room to the kitchen.

These doors are in the dining room and go out to the patio and the fireplace.

This is a double fireplace in the middle of the room.

An upstairs bathroom .

One of the 4 bedrooms. The photo on the floor is of my daughter with Jaromir Jagr when she was little. She had such a crush on him.

The bedroom where my guests will sleep.

Back downstairs in the main room. There used to be a sofa by that table but my daughter took it to her place and I haven't replaced it yet.

Another bathroom on the top floor.  This one has the original tub, mud slip floor and wall tile.  The window looks out on the gardens.

This bedroom has bunk beds.

And a dollhouse.

I made these blocks for The Blog Tech when he was born.

The 4th bedroom.


This is the lower pond which you can see and hear from the kitchen and dining room.

Antique Argentinian cedar doors leading to the vegetable garden off of the patio.

This is the powder room on the first floor.  It also has the original mud slip floor.


A bronze and silver dragon door knocker on the powder room door.
The dining room.  Hope you enjoyed the tour!  Off to a festival!




Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my, I am so happy you shared this with your readers. I love your recipes, but I'm a little house obsessed so I appreciate any glimpse we get into your home and guest house. Thank you!
I want to live in your guest house! Bet your guests hate when its time to leave.
Anonymous said…
I am in awe!
its amazing,
Anonymous said…
That is a truly cool house! I really like that dragon! Well I like everything about that house to be honest :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Mary Ann said…
I surely did enjoy the tour, and I can't wait to see what you get at the festival. Now on to the Beans and Greens.
CalamityJr said…
Oh my goodness! I want to be your guest! You decorate so beautifully; every room is so welcoming. Your guests may never leave!
SHERRY said…
Your home is truly amazing. From the main house to the beautiful gardens and your guest house is nicer than some people's main house.
I love your decorating style and your amazing collections, especially the witches.
I really enjoy visiting you every morning to see what you have whipped up in your kitchen, to where your journeys have taken you. It's so interesting to see life in your part of the country. So different than California.
Thanks for sharing
Sherry

Leanna said…
Beautiful guest house. Your guests will be so happy with all the little things you set up for them. Such a gracious hostess.
I do love the Witchiness touch here and there and the dragon door knocker is awesome.
Leanne said…
mmm love seeing photos of your guest home hope the temps are a bit cooler for you
greekwitch said…
These are the luckiest people in the world. You are the most caring hostess in the world! Everything is so pretty!
Guillaume said…
Lovely, lovely, lovely house.
Barb said…
Your guesthouse is a delightful place!
1st Man said…
Wow. Just wow. Beautiful. We want to be guests!!!! LOL!
Craig said…
It's a very beautiful house, so warm and welcoming. Not over decorated... just right.
Unknown said…
Your guests are certainly blessed with a hostess who provides such a welcome! Anyone who stayed there with me would quickly become annoyed because I'd have to use the dragon knocker on the powder room - it's irresistible. And I can see why that's one of your favorite paintings - It's romantic, funny, dark, and nostalgic all at the same time.
chickpea678 said…
Good grief your guest house is pretty! And you sure treat your guests well! I'm dying for some rosemary bread!
jerilanders said…
Man oh Man! If this is your guest house, I wonder what your real house looks like?! Fantastic, lady.And you collect greenware bowls and have my favorite Vermeer painting.. You are the most perfect hostess I have ever heard of,anyone would be honored to stay here.
I felt like crying when I finished this post. Not out of sadness..but out of joy that someone with so much can care for others as much as you and your family do. The guest house is amazing and so are you. Thank you for sharing this beautiful home with us, Joyce!
Joyce said…
I loved the tour of your house. It appears from the outside that the house is quite old and very interesting. The inside is styled wonderful. I know you must enjoy this house greatly.

Thanks, Joyce