Famous West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls

These might be the kids favorite treat so far.  I made these for them a couple days ago and they wolfed them down.
 West Virginia pepperoni rolls are different from any others I have ever seen.  The pepperoni is cut into sticks instead of slices.

 I am still experimenting with these so I won't write the recipe down yet. The dough should be slightly sweet like a potato dough.  You want the sweetness to offset the salty, spicy sausage.

 Once you roll out a piece of dough, you lay a stick of the pepperoni on the edge of it.

 Roll until it is covered.

 Place a second stick of pepperoni on the dough and repeat.

 Finally, place a third stick of pepperoni on the dough.

Roll it and pinch it closed.
 Place them seam side down on a parchment covered baking sheet.  Melt a stick of butter with 3 tablespoons of sugar.  Let it cool and then beat 1 egg into it.  Brush the rolls with this mixture and sprinkle them with a bit of garlic salt.  Let these rise for about 40 minutes.

 Bake them at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes until they are golden.

 Remove them from the oven and let them sit for about 5 minutes. Remove them and let them finish cooling on racks.

 I added provolone cheese to some of them and hot peppers to some as well.

 I made 66 of these and not one was left. These are pretty big too.

 I found out that there will only be 35 kids at the center on Wednesdays as compared to the 125 there will be on other days through the summer.  So, I can feed those kids each Wednesday.  I think these rolls will be on the menu a lot.

Comments

You are amazing and I know those kids think you are too. What a blessing you are to them. God bless for all you do to feed the hungry.
Craig said…
Well that's good news about the Wednesday numbers. These look amazing. I think I put on 10 lbs just looking at them!
Dee said…
What a great idea. I am sure the kids loved them.
Those Wednesday kids will be the luckiest ones!
CalamityJr said…
Oh my goodness! My dad always made them this way (only not as yummy as yours, I'm sure. He used bisquick and one slice of pepperoni). He was from Connecticut, but mom was from West Virginia, so he must have gotten the recipe there. Interesting!
Leanna said…
Looks sooooooo good! Lucky kids.
Leanne said…
What a fab idea cutting the salami in slices instead of rounds. 35 sounds much more doable for your cooking. Lucky Wednesday kids. Just a thought can you add a bowl of fruit for their snacks - I have been wondering if their nutrition may be quite lacking if their families are financially struggling
kymber said…
those rolls look amazing and i have no trouble believing that the kids gobbled them up!!! those wednesday kids are some lucky kids - imagine all of the gorgeous, delicious, nutritious food you will feed them! i am so glad that it worked out that you could still feed some of the kids. however, once the word gets out i think it's possible that kids who aren't registered for wednesday will be showing up just to get the food - bahahahah! make sure the teachers count them or something!

your friend,
kymber
Anonymous said…
They do look tasty and seems to be easy to make so I'll try them when You're ready with the recipe.

Perfect that they'll "only" be 35 of them on Wednesdays :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
We used to eat something similar when we were kids, made of hotdog sausages wrapped in Pillsbury dough. Delicious.
TARYTERRE said…
Love those West Virginia pepperoni rolls. They look like alot of fun to work with. I can see why the kids gobbled them up.
Ahh..yes.. 35 instead of 125..for you, that's doable. For anyone else..a major, major thing to handle.
Yes..you are an amazing woman! Actually, an amazing family.
Barb said…
The Wed. kids are the lucky ones. I am so glad you will be able to keep feeding them!
Nar said…
This West Virginian approves! :)
chickpea678 said…
Yum. That looks SO good. They must be amazing hot out of the oven.