Garlic Naan

I have cooked a lot of Indian food in my lifetime and therefore I have made more than my share of naan.  This is a new recipe I tried recently and it makes the best naan I have ever had.  I've made it four times in one week.  I served the gyro meat on it but it also makes wonderful sandwiches. I'm not naming names but some people in my household grab a piece when I am making it and eat it like a big potato chip.
 In the bowl of your mixer, pour 1 cup of water, 3 tablespoons of milk, add 1 egg, 1/4 cup of sugar, 2-1/4 tsp. of rapid rise yeast, 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. minced garlic and mix in 4 to 4-1/2 cups of all purpose flour.  Knead until you have a smooth dough.  Place it in a buttered bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.

 Break off pieces and roll as thin as possible on a floured surface.  Set them aside.

 Keep rolling into thin disks.

 Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat.  Add some ghee to the pan and place one of the disks into the hot pan.  You could use butter but ghee doesn't burn as easily as butter does.  Cook it for a minute or two until it starts to brown. Flip it and cook the other side.  Sprinkle it with a bit of garlic salt.

 I place them on a kitchen towels while I work.  The towel absorbs the condensation so they don't get soggy.
 These freeze perfectly so I make a lot of them and keep them in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

 They are so much better then plain white bread. 

Comments

Lady M said…
Wow - I was gonna buy some prepackaged naan at Costco for the freezer but these sound wonderful. Do you use regular flour or some kind of Indian flour like dal?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
hi lady m...i just used plain all purpose flour. i corrected it in the post. thanks!
Anonymous said…
yummo!!! lets eat! lol,
Anonymous said…
I always bought naan when I lived in Gothenburg from a market we had close to where I lived, it was delicious and I have never found any like it after that.

Perhaps I should try it myself, I sometimes make naan like bread but use the flat surface on my fire heated stove. Can't use any kind of fat then, that woulöd make my smoke alarm go nuts :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Kay said…
OH wow! This looks and sounds heavenly! I do enjoy naan too!
Guillaume said…
I love the narn bread in an Indian meal. With a good British beer to drown it properly.
TARYTERRE said…
I eat naan anytime, anyplace whatever the meal LOVE it. Your recipe looks good though I was surprised to see the sugar in it.
Dog Trot Farm said…
Hey Joyce, I have never eaten a naan, let alone make them...I confess I have never had the pleasure of enjoying an Indian meal...I sure wish you were my neighbor...BTW we received a little over two feet of snow and another eight to ten will find us tomorrow....You really need to relocate to Maine...LOL
I love naan and your garlic version sounds "to die for!"
Now this recipe goes in my book of recipe's have have of yours. I WILL make this and I'm excited to try it.
PH is going to love this! I have all the ingredients..(meaning diced garlic.) I buy that stuff by the quart! PH's brother lives in Maine, which you probably already know. Called tonight and said he loanded his snowblower to his neighbor who left it outside and it froze. Now he has to thaw it out so he can dig his way out.
The man is 83..84 in Maine. He is amazing. He just lost his wife a month ago. I hope someone is looking out for him..worries us.
Back to the naan. Sundays treat for the game.
Loli said…
I love naan and butter chicken curry! Will have to try out your recipe!
Anonymous said…
This looks so good. I've never known how naan was made so I certainly learned something new. I may just have to try this real soon.
Rue said…
Now I want to go to the Indian restaurant this weekend! I love nan, and garlic nan is my favourite. I suppose I could just get off my butt and make this though...

Selena Gomez said…
That garlic naan dish looks so amazing. Perfect dish to make on the grill. Will try some time.
order online food delhi